Constipation is defined as the Passage of hard, dry bowel movements usually fewer than three times a week.
However, how often a person “go” varies widely from individual to individual. Some people have bowel movements several times a day while others have them only one to two times week.
Other key features that usually define constipation include:
Dry and hard Stools
Painful Bowel Movement
Stools Difficult to pass
Feeling that the bowels have not been emptied completely
Eating too little fibre
Not drinking enough water
Lack of exercise/Physical activity
Change in Routine
Poor Bowel Habits
Fissures or Haemorrhoids
Irritable Bowel Syndrome
Eating a lot of the dairy products
Few bowel movements
Difficulty passing stool
Straining when passing stool
Lumpy, dry, or hard stool
Pain and cramping in the abdomen
Loss of appetite
HOME REMEDIES FOR CONSTIPATION:
1. Drink more water: When a person is constipated, they might find relief from drinking some carbonated (sparkling) water. This can help them rehydrate and get things moving again. Some studies have found sparkling water to be more effective than tap water at relieving constipation.
2. Fibre Rich Diet: Increasing fiber intake increases the bulk and consistency of bowel movements, making them easier to pass. It also helps them pass through the digestive system more quickly. There are many different dietary fibers, but in general, they fall into two categories: Insoluble fibers and Soluble fibers.
Insoluble fibers: Present in wheat bran, vegetables, and whole grains — add bulk to stools and may help them pass more quickly and easily through the digestive system.
Soluble fibers: Present in oat bran, barley, nuts, seeds, beans, lentils, & peas some fruits and vegetables- absorb water and form a gel-like paste, which softens the stools & improves its consistency
3. Exercise:Even a daily of 15-minute walk can help to move the food through bowel more quickly. Jumpstarting the digestive process can actually help avoid that painfull feeling that often follows upon having a large meal.
4. Coffee: Coffee can help relieve constipation by stimulating the muscles in the gut. It may also contain small amounts of soluble fiber.
5. Senna: Senna is a popular safe and effective herbal laxative that helps treat constipation. Senna contains plant compounds called glycosides, which stimulate the nerves in the gut and help speed up bowel movements.
6. Probiotics: Probiotics are live, beneficial bacteria that naturally occur in the gut. They include Bifidobacteria and Lactobacillus. Some people who have chronic constipation have an imbalance of bacteria in their gut. Consuming more probiotic foods could help improve this balance and prevent constipation. Probiotic foods include:
7. Prebiotics: Prebiotics are an indigestible carbohydrate fiber. Prebiotics include oligosaccharide and inulin. Prebiotic fibers improve digestive health by feeding the beneficial bacteria in the gut, which boosts probiotics and improves the balance of the gut bacteria. Prebiotic foods include:
8. Prunes: Prunes contain fibres & sorbitol. Sorbitol is a sugar alcohol that has a laxative effect.
9. Magnesium Supplements: Getting enough magnesium in your diet might also help relieve constipation. Oral magnesium supplements function as osmotic laxatives. That means they pull water into your digestive system, which helps soften your stool.
You can take the below medicines given but we recommend you to seek advice of a Physician or other qualified health provider.
Adel 11 Drop: Regulate proper intestinal function and work as a gentle laxative. This remedy helps relieve acute or chronic constipation, spastic colics, and nervous indigestion while stimulating proper excretion.
Adven Laxease Tablet: Relieves constipation, motility of bowel, Eases bowel movement and helps in case of piles.
Bakson Y-Lax Tablet: An effective formulation with laxative action combining the valuable Homoeopathic remedies and an additional constituent phenolphthalein that tones up the intestines, regulates bowel habits, relieves constipation & anal itching. Also relieves the associated complaints of bloated sensation, flatulence, abdominal pain & straining during defecation.
Bakson B32 Drop:For symptoms of impaired bile secretion; lack of appetite, bitter taste in mouth, flatulence, constipation and pain abdomen associated with Liver and gall bladder disorders
HSL LaxYalo Tablet: It is useful in case where no desire for stool at all for days, Useful in traveller constipation, Useful in constipation which can lead to piles & fissures of anus.
New Life Constip-NL-Drop:For Constipation alternating with diarrhoea, Stool hard difficult with strain, Ineffectual urging to stool, Desire remain after stool, Useful for all problems due to constipation
Lords Ylo Tablets:For infrequent stools, hard stools relieving constipation & toning up the intestine & itching & sense of incomplete emptying after a bowel moment.
Bio Combination 4:For Bowels constipated without apparent cause, Liver torpid, Stools dry, hard and black, Dull headache, foul breathe and bad taste in mouth, tongue is coated, Alternate diarrhoea and constipation. We recommend you to take it along with any of the above medicines for quick relief.